Jane Eyre-along

Time to get over our Bronte issues.

07 August 2006

Random Thoughts on Ch. 1-7

1. Overall, I'm really, really liking it. Yay. I think it will be much easier this time than when I was twelve. Shocking.

2. The language! It's gorgeous, but these are supposed to be kids! With the narrative, I figured fine, Jane is telling it as an adult remembering back. But the dialogue is the same. I started laughing during the part when Jane and Helen Burns are discussing complicated ethics questions in huge words - especially since these girls aren't supposed to have a whole lot of education.

3. It's been great reading something set in the winter. I know they're freezing and all, but I'm sort of jealous as I sit here in my 90-degree apartment.

4. The religion aspect - I think Bronte is making fun of certain types of people, rather than religion in general. Religion is somewhat of a given in this world - both the good and the bad characters quote the Bible and feel that religion is guiding their actions. So far, at least, the dichotomy seems to be between sincere people and hypocrites.

4 Comments:

Blogger mysticgypsy said...

Hi Kat!
I agree that the kids' language seems far advanced. However, these were kids growing up in the 19th century so I'd expect their words to be more elaborate (for kids) back then, compared to nowadays. Helen is 14 and girls' formal education ends when they are 16 (at least Jane's did in Lowood), so perhaps Helen has the capacity to discuss such moral issues with her. In addition, Brocklehurst gave them a rigorous religous education.

So far, at least, the dichotomy seems to be between sincere people and hypocrites.
I agree.

8:50 PM  
Blogger mysticgypsy said...

Oh I forgot. I should introduce myself.

Hello everyone!
I am mysticgypsy. I have an English degree as well, and my favorite works are those of the Brontes, whom I hope to study further in Graduate school. I am particularly fond of Villette, Jane Eyre and the poems of Emily Bronte.

I am excited to be here and I look forward to discussing Jane Eyre

8:54 PM  
Blogger jessie said...

I'm having a much easier time of it as well. Sometimes I still can't tell if it's supposed to be funny or not, though.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I always forget what a huge part of the novel takes place before Jane gets to Thornfield. It somehow gets compacted in my brain to like ten pages. I just finished reading through chapter 13 last night, and I'd forgotten tons of stuff from my last read-through.

Somehow the character of Miss Temple, one of the few people who made Jane's time at the school bearable, was erased from my memory.

I'm glad to be reading the book again, and wonder how much I'll pick up this time that I missed before.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home