Jane Eyre-along

Time to get over our Bronte issues.

12 August 2006

Introduction and notes

Hi everyone! I’m Maura and I’m new. I just finished reading the book last month and I am currently making my way through the film adaptations. I was so excited to find some people who want to discuss Jane Eyre. The people around me are a little tired of hearing it and aren’t much interested. Go figure. :)

I don’t have much to say about the early chapters that hasn’t been mentioned. I will say that I got a new appreciation for Helen reading it this time. At first I saw her as just a kind of mouthpiece for Christian ideals – a way for Bronte to get those ideas into the story. But reading it this time I liked her more and saw how important she is to Jane. Though I can certainly relate more to Jane’s spunk and spirit: “an impulse of fury against Reed, Brocklehurst, and Co. bounded in my pulses at the conviction. I was no Helen Burns.”

One part I did think was funny: when Brocklehurst first meets Jane and he is telling her about the boy who prefers Psalms to treats. “…when you ask him which he would rather have, a gingerbread-nut to eat or a verse of a Psalm to learn, he says: 'Oh! the verse of a Psalm!…he then gets two nuts in recompense for his infant piety." I thought, what a smart kid. He knows if he says he wants to learn a Psalm, he’ll get two treats instead of one!

1 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

I thought the same thing about that youngster! Very clever. Do you think the same thought occured to Jane? I bet!

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home